While I run Windows 10 on my “daily driver” laptop as well as my gaming PC, I try where possible to use open source software. Here’s a list of the programs that I use on a regular basis:
- Archiving: 7-Zip
- Audio Editing: Audacity
- File Sharing: qBitTorrent
- Finance Management: HomeBank
- Hard Drive Diagnostics: gSmartControl
- Office Suite: LibreOffice
- PDF Reader: SumatraPDF
- Photo Editing: darktable / GIMP
- Photo Viewing: -TBD-
- Text Editor: Notepad++
- Vector Graphics: Inkscape
- Video Editor: -TBD-
- Video Player: VLC Media Player
- Video Recording/Streaming: OBS Studio
- Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox
What does “-TBD-” mean?
“To Be Decided!” This is something that I have yet to find an adequate solution that I like enough to use as a default. If you have any recommendations, tweet me @AwkwardPrimate!
What about Linux?
On a day-to-day basis I am a Windows and frequent macOS user but do occasionally visit Linux Land. In that case, I usually opt for Ubuntu MATE as my preferred distribution. If you’re new to Linux and want something that’s simple and easy-to-use right out of the box, I recommend ElementaryOS.